Recently we designed and developed a Magento based web store for Continental Footwear. The client wanted different currencies and prices for various regions. Magento “Store Views” let you have multiple currencies for each view but not prices. Pricing is set at the “Website” level on Magento.
There is a plugin called “Store View Pricing” that claims to fix this but is not compatible with newer version of Magneto. It broke out Magento install and would not allow indexing of the pages anymore. This is a common issue with the plugin. Please do NOT install this plugin as uninstallation is also a nightmare, requiring you to manually modify the DB to totally get it out of the system. If you have accidentally installed it and now cant index your pages any more, get in touch with us and we can help you fix this issue.
Continue reading to find out how to do this without any plugins!
There is a $200 version of the plugin as well but we did not try that. Instead, we used the Multi-Site feature of Magento to fix this issue. There are various ways to set up your multiple store, we chose to use subdomains.
So the parent site is www.crayonsshoes.com
Some of the regional sites are:
United Kingdom: uk.crayonsshoes.com
Middle East: me.crayonsshoes.com
Initial instructions on the setup can be follow from this link:
We were working with A Small Orange hosting which is absolutely the best hosting service out there. We highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good hosting solution that is affordable and reliable with top rated customer service. So all paths and other info is relevant to ASO hosting – if you need help with a different hosting service, feel free to ask.
Here are the steps:
Magento Admin Panel
- In your Magento Admin, create a new website, store and store view for each domain. We code we used for the Europe store was “eu”.
- Go to System->Configuration–>Catalog–>Price and make sure the selected value is Website
- Select EU from the Current Configuration Scope drop down on the left and go to Web. Change the value of Base URL to “http://eu.crayonsshoes.com/” for both the Secure and Unsecure sections.
- Change currency and other settings as required for the localized version of the store.
- Go to Catalog –> Manage Products. Select the products you want available in the EU store and click Update Attributes for bulk editing.
- Click on the Websites tab in the left panel and select the websites on which you want the product to be available.
- If you want to change prices or attributes for the local store, select EU from the drop down and make the required changes
Hosting & File Editing
- Create a subdomain on the hosting account. The folder structure for ASO is that eu.domain.com points to the folder domain.com/eu
- Copy the index.php .htaccess file in each folder.
- Edit the index.php for the two following changes.
$mageFilename = MAGENTO_ROOT . '/app/Mage.php';
$mageFilename = '/home/<userid>/public_html/app/Mage.php';
<userid> is replaced by the userid for that specific hosting account (as that is the name of the base folder for the hosting)
2) Add the following:
/* Store or website code */ $mageRunCode = isset($_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_CODE']) ? $_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_CODE'] : 'eu'; /* Run store or run website */ $mageRunType = isset($_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_TYPE']) ? $_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_TYPE'] : 'website';
Right above this line (usually its the last line)
- Create these symbolic links on the command line
ln -s ../app ./app ln -s ../errors ./errors ln -s ../includes ./includes ln -s ../js ./js ln -s ../lib ./lib ln -s ../media ./media ln -s ../skin ./skin ln -s ../var ./var
Now when you visit eu.domain.com, everything should be working as planned. If you have any hiccups, get in touch with us